At Oxfam we are proud to stock many Fairtrade items boasting the FAIRTRADE Mark – which turns 25 years old this year!
Cafédirect, Clipper and Green & Blacks launched the first three products carrying the Mark all the way back in 1994. In celebration of this milestone, we’ve pulled together some fun and interesting facts you may or may not know about Fairtrade….
7 Fairtrade facts
1. One in three bananas bought in the UK is Fairtrade
2. Over the past 25 years, shoppers have generated 1 billion Euros in Fairtrade Premium for farmers and workers
3. There are over 4,500 different Fairtrade products available to buy in UK shops, but there is currently no Fairtrade cheese in the UK!
4. 93% of UK shoppers recognise the FAIRTRADE Mark and 83% trust it when deciding whether a product is ethical
5. There are 1.66 million Fairtrade farmers and workers around the world in over 73 countries, with Peru having the highest number
6. Oscar-winning actress Olivia Colman wore Fairtrade gold when collecting an award earlier this year
7. If you buy Fairtrade roses from Kenya, your carbon footprint is actually lower than if you buy standard roses grown in the Netherlands!
We have a fantastic range of Fairtrade products online, including Cafédirect coffee, Divine chocolate, cotton tote bags and more. By buying Fairtrade products from Oxfam not only are you helping improve working conditions and encouraging fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world, but you are also helping fight poverty.